Rachel is Marketing Manager at Cal Partners and is a Chartered Marketer. She began working in marketing in 2007 and has a particular specialism in the professional services sector.
Create strong content to help your brand!
It is certainly not easy being a busy professional or running a business trying to manage the day job as well as finding the time to work on marketing such as writing blogs, video recording and updating social media.
We all now know the importance of content marketing especially in the digital world we live in. Struggling with time can impact the type of content we write and share - even if we think it is something just to post, quickly update a blog or filling a gap for some scheduling - caution should be taken and shortcuts avoided.
As explained in this blog from the Search Engine Journal, thin content is content that provides little or no value. Google is now stopping low-quality websites from ranking high in search results - long gone are the days of stuffing content with keywords where it doesn’t read well and makes no sense!
Writing great content is key to reaping rewards
Whilst it does take time and effort to boost SEO rankings, you need to have great content to attract prospective clients to your website and keep them there! It makes more sense to invest time in producing great content and achieve results than wasting time on writing poor content and seeing no return.
What does great content look like?
Here are a few pointers to help create great content.
- Be creative and don’t copy – it is important that you create original content - Google penalises websites that duplicate content. If you do mention other sources, then credit them.
- Ask clients – it might be a worthwhile exercise to ask your clients what content they would like to read more of – this could help to improve your existing content, provide new ideas and by being more relevant to your target audience, ultimately attracts more people to your website.
- SEO – when writing it, carry out keyword research to optimise your content but don’t fall into the trap of overusing keywords and diluting your content so it becomes hard to read, or even worse, makes no sense.
- Standout with headlines – Copyblogger reports that 8 out of 10 people will read headlines but only 2 out of 10 will read the rest of the content. Make sure your headlines stand out!
- Include visuals – Did you know that having a photo, image, graphic or video is more likely to increase shares and engagement? Visuals help people process information and sell!
- Include an FAQ section - FAQs instantly help to create a platform for regular content and helps clients and prospective clients to quickly get the answers they are looking for, this shows that you are thinking about your audience rather than it all being about you. Our blog on frequently asked questions provides more information on why you need them and what to put in them.
- Keep it concise – Keep your content short and to the point. Space out your content, use bullet points and keep it conversational so it is easy to read. People are busy, with plenty of other content around that they can consume, so it is important to quickly get them engaged.
- Regular content – It is important to keep adding content, for example through a regular blog or insights section on a website. This shows you are up to date in your sector and will attract visitors to your website. This content can be distributed through your social media channels and repurposed, again attracting more traffic to your site. See our previous blog about making the most of your content. Websites that are regularly updated perform better in search results.
Taking the time to research a topic that your audience will value and being able to demonstrate your expertise will help to get people talking and in turn share your content.
If you don’t have the time to create content or unsure where to start, then we can point you in the right direction! Cal Partners is an award-winning marketing agency and we can help you to create standout content that builds your brand.